Artist's Reverie - 4
A Shounen ai Gundam Wing Fanfiction
By: Tan

*Warnings*: Not much...
*Summry*: An A.U. Trowa P.O.V. Trowa's a tortured artist.


PART 4

"I'm sorry."

Quatre's pity was the last thing he needed...... But it wasn't pity. It was compassion-- and it radiated from the boy beside him in warming waves. They sent-- fantastic thrills through Trowa. He had to look--

"My mother died too," Quatre confided with a small patient smile. "I was a mess for years after it happened-- I can't believe you're so strong, and it's been barely two!"

"It must be common thing," Wufei sighed. He was dusting a particularly stubborn window sill. "My clan is dead as well....."

Trowa looked at the slim Asian. He didn't say anything more.

"Clan?" Quatre inquired. His question was open; to be rejected or accepted, neither route wounding the blonde's feelings. Wufei finished dusting, and joined Duo over in the dark corner where all of Trowa's life long works were being rifled through. He was nervous as their hands passed over piles of papers and canvases... But they couldn't be in better hands-- He stopped that thought curiously. Since when do I trust them so much? I've known them for days.... They could destroy me....

"My family. I was part of the Dragon clan on L5--"

"You're from L5?!" Quatre gasped. "Amazing! You must be one of the last from the pilgrimage--"

Wufei nodded solemnly. Trowa's eyes were wide. He remembered the news cast about the large pilgrim ship from L5. It was the only refugee ship to leave the colony, before the life system there gave up. The destruction had been caused by a computer malfunction, deep within the hovering mechanical world. One pilgrim ship. One blown circuit.

Duo whistled sympathetically. Wufei gave him a withering look and pointed to one of the paintings, murmuring softly. Duo nodded, and they riffled on. Trowa grew antsy. He stood up, fidgeted, and moved to the window.

"I was adopted..." The voice speaking was rough. Heero cleared his throat, and continued, hesitantly. "By Colonel Jay-- the scientist from the Gundam project...."

Duo's attention zeroed in on Heero, who was flipping through one of Trowa's sketch books. Heero turned a page absently, moving with strained ease.

"He turned me into a soldier..." His voice trailed off. There was no emotion in it. It wasn't even pained. Duo dropped whatever it was that he'd been looking at and moved to sit by Heero. He wasn't acknowledged, but didn't seem phased by the brush off.

"Heero," Quatre whispered. His voice caught, and Trowa noticed the boy's fist curling to rest just above his heart.

"Are you alright?" Trowa heard himself inquire. Quatre looked up at him, eyes shining in the dimness. Even with a borrowed lamp, the room was smoky in its luminescence.

"Yeah," he nodded, and rubbed his fist in a soothing circle. "I just... have so much empathy..."

They get more complicated by the second, Trowa swore. He turned his head from Quatre as the latter sighed. I can't even hold my pains in their presence.... Because theirs are greater.... Duo-- The uncommonly silent boy leaned his head back against the dresser. His face was strained. It was such a dark expression. Not to him, Trowa swore. He found his feet taking him closer, and he folded down next to Duo.

He's shivering, Trowa realized. Duo's knees were drawn up close to his chest, and his face was cuddled close into folded arms. Hiding? Quatre sat beside Trowa, and Wufei was seated somewhere nearby. Trowa's mind was building with pencil. A chain. Links cracked. Holding against indomitable strain... Stop with the angst, he told himself dryly.

"You know how I'm living alone? No 'rents, or a guardian... I've been an orphan for as long as I can remember. I lived at a church orphanage for a while...." He paused for a shaky, simple laugh. "But that fell through...."

Not to him, too, Trowa's mind whirled angrily. Of all the people to be alone....

"You guys are all I've got basically." Duo straightened his legs, stretching them out and throwing his arms up over his head. Trowa saw a brief flash of teeth in a smile and wanted to whack Duo over the head for it. How can he be like that. Smile when he's always been alone. "And man, what a sorry group of people I decided to hang out with. Three of you never talk and the blonde over there's a *prep*!! A prep!!"

There was a slight pause. And then the sound of choking began. Trowa blinked as he realized someone was leaning over him. It was a small, warm body, and it was struggling violently with something-- he looked over and his jaw dropped dramatically.

Quatre was strangling Duo. Wrapping his graceful, gentle hands around poor Duo's neck and squeezing He was growling something--

"I'll show you prep-- stop squirming!!"

"Agck!" Duo garbled. He threw himself onto Heero but Quatre was quite gangly stronger than he looked, so now he was officially pulled onto Trowa's lap. Trowa blushed furiously and made a halfhearted attempt to pull Quatre off--

"Heeglp--" Duo scrambled further away and someone swore violently. Trowa grinned as Quatre's grip loosened and Duo was suddenly free. He disappeared into a dark corner, while Trowa held onto Quatre's flailing form.

"Let me go!! *Prep*??!! Ahhrgg!"

"He meant it in a nice way," Trowa stated soothingly. Calm was briefly restored as Quatre turned his face to Trowa. It was full of disbelief and slight madness. And it was also very near. Trowa could feel warm, rapid breath on his lips.

"Nice way?!" He squawked indignantly. "You're on his side then?" Trowa didn't answer. He blushed, and lifted Quatre out of his lap in a surge of mortification induced adrenaline. He'd quite enjoyed having Quatre in his arms. I'll be painting fantasy scenarios soon.

Quatre sat down heavily beside Trowa and huffed quietly.

"He's plotting," Duo mourned from across the room. "I'm doomed."

"Damn right you are," Quatre muttered.

"Don't we have school tomorrow?" Trowa inquired with a sigh. "It has to be late..."

"Tomorrow is Saturday," Wufei provided with a condescending note added for Trowa's benefit. Trowa glowered.

"I don't have anywhere to be!" Duo cheered. "Camp-out at Tro-wa's house! Do you have any popcorn?"

"No."

"Soda?"

"No."

Pause. "Pink lemonade?"

Trowa hesitated. "Yes..."

There was another pause.

"Pink, lemonade?" That was Wufei's curious inquiry. "Really?"







He lived at a church. That's why he mentioned "The Sister," at Quatre's house... Trowa caressed the canvas with his paint brush, slowly... He always started carefully. Easing into his work until the numbness settled in and the world fell away. His camp out gang was snoring collectively-- or was it just Duo? Trowa stood and looked around the canvas. He nodded. Just Duo. He smiled gently, and sat back down on the stool. Said Duo had taken the bed. Wufei had objected about the injustice of not going about choosing sleeping arrangements in a democratic way, but his rants had lasted for a mere half hour before he'd passed out at the end of the bed, curled up with blankets stolen from Duo. Quatre was also on the floor, sleeping in a sleeping bag that had been provided by Catherine when she'd come to check on their cleaning progress. Trowa had positioned his easel and stool so all he had to do was look over slightly to see the golden halo of hair sticking out of the top of the sleeping bag.

Heero was sitting upright against the wall, facing both the window and the door. He dozed occasionally, but would open his eyes whenever Trowa moved. The soldier, Trowa thought, shivering lightly. That was what he'd come to on the painting. A hollow set of eyes. Not hollow... He sighed impatiently, and glared at his palette. The eyes shaped themselves painstakingly. They glowed an eerie blue. They could be crying.

"Why are you so mean to Duo?"

Trowa let the words come unbidden. He'd proffered the question unconsciously, but was glad that it was out. It didn't seem that Heero had heard....

"He's an idiot," Heero replied blankly. "He annoys me purposefully."

"Of course he does..." Trowa used his thumb to add a smoky transition of blue black to the red.... "He wants your attention."

Heero obviously didn't want to talk. But Trowa waited patiently. He had a few good hours until his eyes started to droop and he fell out the chair and into dream land.

"Why."

He likes you.

"He wants to be your friend. And if I were you--" Trowa actually paused, and turned around fully to look at Heero's shadow. The boy's eyes were glittering dangerously. "I'd let him. No matter what the cost, Heero." Why did I say that? But he didn't retract it. Conversation had died, and he still had a few good hours........







::Poke poke::

I can't believe someone's poking me.

"Is he dead?"

"No, baka. He was up late."

"What the heck is "baka?!" Duo demanded. Someone was shoved, and another shove resulted in crushed Trowa ribs. Trowa gasped and sat up stiffly. He had indeed slept at the foot of his stool. The paint on his hands had dried, and he was still covered with red and black. His current unfinished canvas was sitting naked above him, but he was too tired to care. Duo apologized rapidly and sat back on his haunches to smile at Trowa's bloodshot eye.

"Idiot, basically."

"What?" Trowa and Duo voiced their confusion in synch, and Duo punched Trowa's arm lightly. "Jinx!" He crowed.

"Baka is Duo in Japanese," Wufei sniggered. After a short hiatus of neurons reacting with brain cells, Duo squeaked indignantly and made a rude face at Wufei, who had turned his back to stand triumphant in his dig.

"I'll baka you, baka. Baka," Duo muttered. "Trowa, wake up Quatre. I need to use the bathroom." Duo stood up and stomped away. Wufei had a stupid grin on his face that Duo decidedly ignored.

Trowa yawned hugely, and looked blearily over at Heero. He looked as sharp as ever. His eyes strayed to the alarm clock, which Trowa eyed as well. He fell over. Eight a.m.!!

"Is he trying to kill me?!" He demanded. Heero shrugged. No help there. And why do *I* have to wake up Quatre? But he stood up dutifully and staggered across the room (eventually) to stand above the curled form of his blonde friend. He shook Quatre's shoulder gently. "Quatre..."

"I'm up," Quatre sighed. He rolled over and opened sleep blurred eyes to look up at Trowa. They were sparkling. Shining. Radiant, and pure. Trowa opened his mouth to utter a simple good morning, and found himself breathless. He looked away quickly, almost shielding his eyes.

"I'll see what I can dredge up for breakfast..."

"I'll come with you," Duo announced. He had returned swiftly, and was standing beside Wufei. He *looked* innocent enough.... Suddenly he swiped his hands across Wufei's face. The stiff backed Asian's eyes grew wide, and he screamed something foreign. Duo sprinted away. Wufei cursed again and wiped furiously at his cheeks, which were damp with **water**. Duo sang cheerfully from the hall. Trowa heard him greet Catherine with a hail of beauty, and continue on, skipping happily down the stairs.

"I wouldn't let him in the kitchen if I were you."

This was Heero speaking. Trowa looked at him in puzzlement. Then it dawned on him. Duo. In a kitchen. With knives, a stove, and *glass*.

Wufei was left cursing the dust that Trowa, Heero and Quatre kicked up as they bolted for the hall after the singing braided baka.







"Do I even know any of your names?"

The gentle sounds of eating and simple conversation halted at Catherine's query. Trowa looked up at her with a slight blush. She was laughing silently at him.

"I know Duo--" she grinned as he waved to her. "And I believe you're Quatre." She beamed at the immaculate young man next to her. He patted his mouth with a napkin and nodded.

"It's a pleasure..." He trailed off, and gave Catherine an embarrassed look. "I don't know your name." Trowa suddenly found himself under a pair of disapproving glares. Catherine's and Quatre's. Always my fault. he sighed. Trowa took a deep breath, and began, pointing with his fork for lack of a better utensil.

"This is Catherine Barton," he declared. "My sister and guardian. This is Quatre, Catherine. Duo," Trowa lowered his head as Duo grinned with pancakes stuck in his teeth, and after a moment he continued bravely. "Heero, and Wufei." Each gave their respective nods, and finished eating. Trowa dutifully stood and collected the plates. It shocked him that Duo scooped up everyone's cups and marched merrily into the kitchen..... Followed by Heero, Wufei and Quatre. Trowa looked at Catherine's equally dumbfounded expression, and shrugged.

"They don't expect do be paid, do they?" She murmured.

"You never know."





"You wash, I'll dry."

"*You* do dishes?" Trowa queried slowly. Duo nodded and elbowed Heero to get started. The glaring messy haired boy bristled, but obeyed. He filled the sink with hot water, added the right amount of dish soap, and scrubbed with the brand new pink scrubby Catherine had bought. He rinsed the first plate, and handed it to Duo, who swung it happily, ignoring the evil look he received when Heero was splashed mercilessly in the face. Duo was actually quite efficient, even if the floor was getting a splash down of its own...

"I used to be on dish duty at the Church. You wouldn't believe how many dishes we managed to get dirty." Duo trailed off mysteriously. He waved the dried plate in the air, and cleared his throat pointedly at Wufei, who gave him a blank look. "Come here and put these up."

Wufei's nose rose slightly. "I don't know where they would go."

"In the cabinet above the toaster," Trowa supplied. Wufei sniffed arrogantly. Soon enough he was pulled into Duo's train of command. Heero washed, was splashed, and Wufei returned the eating instruments to their rightful places among the cabinets. Duo hummed happily.

"I feel useless," Quatre chuckled. Trowa nodded thoughtfully. This is picturesque.

"Kodak moment," he mumbled. Quatre's giggle surprised him, and he offered a blushing smile.

"A Kodak moment," he agreed. His face was sunny as it turned up to stare into Trowa's. He was leaning up slightly against the counter, arms folded loosely before him. The simple long sleeved white shirt was impeccable; even after having been slept in. He looked totally refreshed, and happy. I hope he always looks that way...

"Trowa."

Trowa blinked. His reverie was interrupted by his sister's soft hail. He looked away from Quatre reluctantly. Stop staring. You'll scare him.

"Yes Catherine?"

"The L3 Circus... is performing in Downtown Sank..."

L3 Circus.

"Oh."

Father's circus.

".... Martin called the other day. You remember Martin?"

Ring master. Dad's best friend. He wore white to the memorial, and cried.

"Yes."

"Do you want to talk about this later?"

"No, no it's okay. What did he say?"

They died, coming back from the circus...

"He wanted us to perform again. Just one night; for old time's sake..."

No. No; you should have told him no I won't do it.

"You used to perform in a circus?"

The questions was innocent. Full of curiosity.

"Off and on with our dad," Catherine admitted sheepishly. "I throw knives!"

"Oooh," Duo kidded. "Cathy-- Cathy no! Put the butter knife down!!"

"I'll 'butter knife' you!" Catherine laughed. "Trowa?"

No.

"I need to take a shower," he stated, moving forward with calm intent. Calm.

"So what should I tell him?"

"No."






Part 1 : Part 2 : Part 3 : Part 4 : Part 5

*Um*: Whuuuuu. Mwahahaha. Contact: silvernyanko@yahoo.com